Transcript | Prime Minister’s Office Press Briefing – 12 August 2021
12 Aug 2021
Press Briefing by Billene Seyoum, Press Secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office, on key highlights of the week and recent developments in Tigray
12 August 2021
[check against delivery]
Key Issues of the week include:
Afar Civilian Attacks
- Reports have come in that a few days ago TPLF have attacked civilians in Galikoma at a health clinic and school being used to shelter internally displaced persons.
- Stockpile of food reserved for humanitarian assistance has also been destroyed
- Relatedly, the Afar region have declared three days of mourning that began yesterday in memory of the victims of the attack
- It is to be recalled that following the enactment of the unilateral ceasefire, the terrorist group have been sending in human waves into the Afar and Amhara regions, attacking, killing, raping civilians, looting and pillaging communities and displacing more than 300,000 people.
Latest on Humanitarian Activities in Northern part of the country
- As of yesterday August 11, 2021 – 277 trucks of humanitarian assistance have entered the Tigray Region. There are more than ten different international humanitarian organizations and UN agencies that are active in assistance efforts covering 79 woredas while the Federal Government continues to provide aid in 14 woredas in the western part through the Disaster Risk Management Commission.
- Displaced communities due to the TPLF’s aggressions and belligerence in the Afar and Amhara regions also need humanitarian assistance, although they are not getting enough attention by the broader international community.
- Nevertheless, the Government is providing support of food and non-food items already with an agreement in the pipeline for WFP to support existing and additions IDPs.
Context to the Statement Issued
- As the terrorist TPLF’s aggressions continue unabated, the Federal Government and the people of Ethiopia are being forced to employ all means to defend their communities.
- The August 10th statement that was issued in a national call to all Ethiopians in the country and abroad, pertains to saving a nation from the overt declaration by TPLF to disintegrate the country.
- The National Defence Forces, the Special Forces and Regional Militias have been instructed to halt the destruction by TPLF.
- A call has been made to eligible Ethiopians to join the defence forces, while others are being called upon to organize at every level and protect their cities, towns, communities, villages, neighbourhoods. This call is also to members of the large Diaspora community that Ethiopia has globally, to do their part in continuing the expose the terrorist organization for what it is and to mobilize all forms of support in maintaining the sovereignty and continuity of Ethiopia.
- Despite the continued international media mischaracterization of the statement alluding that this call is against the Tigray region, I would like to reiterate that such divisive narrative formations in such a sensitive period point more to irresponsibility of other actors than it does of the intention and spirit of the call that was made.
- I wish to end by pointing to the last line in the statement that was issued and emphasize again: “The battle is not with Tigray, but with the terrorist forces that have found hiding in Tigray. Hence, we are battling to liberate the people of Tigray, that are being used as an instrument by TPLF, and the whole of Ethiopia from the terrorist group; to maintain the peace and unity of our country. Our struggle is against the forces near and far, which are behind the terrorist TPLF to dismantle our country and destroy Ethiopia’s existence. Therefore, all patriots should stand with all their hearts to protect their sovereignty today, as in the past, with determination to defend the dignity and glory of their country.”
SHENE (OLA) + TPLF ALLIANCE
- This alliance is not new nor surprising to the Government
- While the timing of the public declaration needs examining, the Government has been indicating for well over two years now that the TPLF have been using Shene as errand runners for their destructive mission
- If you recall three months ago, in accordance with Articles 18 and 19 of Proclamation No. 1176/2020 on the Prevention and Suppression of Terrorism Crimes, both organizations were designated terrorist organizations.
- In yesterday’s public declaration of this unusual marriage both organizations publicly acknowledged they are leading destructive activities against the stability of the nation and that terrorism is a general feature of both.
- The government has been saying it for a while now but international media seems to only believe it rather when terrorist organizations tell them. So now they have told the entire world.
- Important to point out in this regard is no entity can claim to be for the people of Oromia while it kills the people of the region for its political gains and no entity can claim to be for the people of Tigray while it kills its own people and holds them hostage for its political gains.
- Let us not forget that TPLF tortured, killed, displaced and disappeared many Oromo youth accusing them of being part of the Oromo Liberation Front before Shene splintered.
- Particularly with Shene’s (OLA) declaration, we have no doubt that mature voices and early founders of the Oromo Liberation Front will denounce this destructive alliance.
Latest NewsBrowse all
Over the century, Ethiopia has endured acute political polarisation and divisions mainly due to the tendency of elites to resolve political disagreements through coercion rather than compromise. As such, the country’s elites have exhibited no semblance of a democratic political culture all throughout. They often resort to confrontational approaches to ensure their interests. Ethiopia has now embarked on an inclusive…
16 May 2022
Ethiopia’s National Dialogue, Key to ensure National Consensus
The Embassy hosted the official launch of SOPHOS AFRICA in the UK, a charity organization that endeavors to contribute to the development of a critical mass of transformed minds and lives to transform people and places in Africa. In his opening remarks, Ambassador Teferi Melesse noted that apart from the traditional government-to-government relationship, #UK NGOs serve as important tools for…
13 May 2022
The official launch of SOPHOS AFRICA in the UK.
የበለጠ መረጃ ለማግኘት የኢ.ፌ.ዴ.ሪ ጉምሩክ ኮሚሽን ድረ-ገፅ ይመልከቱ፡ https://bit.ly/3L1qFqw
9 May 2022
FDRE Customs Commission
In respect of the existing humanitarian concern in the Tigray Region, the government had boldly vowed that it would not sit idle when the people of Tigray die hungry. As per that commitment, it declared an indefinite humanitarian truce a couple of weeks ago. This is hoped to clear the misplaced accusations over deliberate humanitarian blockade in Tigray. If the…
6 May 2022
The Declaration of an Indefinite Humanitarian Truce is a Demonstration of Government’s Commitment for Peace
The Ethiopian Embassy in London, in collaboration with Ethio-Coffee Importers Ltd, held a briefing event for Ethiopian stakeholders on how to promote green and roasted coffee in the UK during the next Coffee Exhibition due to unfold in December 2022. In his opening remarks, Ambassador Teferi Melesse said the session will help stakeholders to promote Ethiopian Green and Roasted coffee…
6 May 2022
Promoting Ethiopian Coffee.
ኤምባሲያችን ከታች በተጠቀሰው የስራ መደብ ላይ አመልካቾችን አወዳድሮ መቅጠር ይፈልጋል። መስፈርቱን የምታሟሉ አመልካቾች የትምህርት እና የስራ ማስረጃዎቻችሁን በሚከተሉት የኢሜል አድራሻዎች በመላክ መመዝገብ የምትችሉ መሆኑን እንገልፃለን። email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org To View in PDF Format: Click here Embassy of Ethiopia, in London would like to invite qualified and experienced candidates to apply for the following position. Interested applicants who meet the specified requirements…
29 Apr 2022
ማስታወቂያ | Announcement
The Government of Ethiopia in Coordination with Partners Continues to Deliver Humanitarian Assistance to those in Need in the Tigray Region In accordance with the government's directives to deliver humanitarian assistance to those in need in the Tigray Region, coordination was made with partners. A cluster arrangement which aimed at ensuring smooth humanitarian response to the most affected areas has…
21 Apr 2022
Promoting Ethiopian Green and Roasted Coffee in the UK: Briefing session on planned Coffee Exhibition, December 2022 Friday, May 6/2022 | 10:00AM (London, BST) | 12:00PM (Addis Ababa, BST +2) Online via Zoom Participation in the webinar is by invitation only. [button to="https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvcumgqj8sHtQf6vQ0YKe4fLkH8XKHNgev "]Register here to participate >[/button] Background: The coffee industry is of paramount importance to the Ethiopian economy,…
20 Apr 2022
Webinar | Promoting Ethiopian Green and Roasted Coffee in the UK
በዩናይትድ ኪንግደም እና አየርላንድ የምትኖሩ ኢትዮጵያውያንና ትውልደ ኢትዮጵያውያን በሙሉ፡- በለንደን የሚገኘው የኢትዮጵያ ኤምባሲ ለቀጣይ ስራ ያግዝ ዘንድ የዲያስፖራን መረጃ በማሰባሰብ ላይ ሲሆን፣ ከታች በተያያዘው ማስፈንጠርያ በመግባት እንድትመዘገቡ በአክብሮት እንጠይቃለን፡፡ ማብራሪያ፡ ይህ ቅጽ ኤምባሲያችን ለዜጎቻችን የሚሰጠውን አገልግሎት ለማሻሻል እና በቀጣይ አዳዲስ መረጃዎች በቀላሉ እንዲደርስ ማድረግ እንዲያስችል፣ እንዲሁም በተለያዩ የሙያ ዘርፎች ተሰማርተው የሚገኙ የዳያስፖራ ማህበረሰብ አባላት ሀገራቸውን በሙያቸው የሚያግዙበትን ሁኔታ ለማመቻቸት የተዘጋጀ…
14 Apr 2022
Diaspora Registration Form.
የኢሚግሬሽን፣ ዜግነትና ወሳኝ ኩነት ኤጀንሲ ከኢድ እስከ ኢድ ጥሪን ተከትሎ ወደ ሀገር ቤት ለሚመጡ ተጓዦች የሚያገለግል ጊዜያዊ መመሪያ አወጣ የኢሚግሬሽን፣ ዜግነትና ወሳኝ ኩነት ኤጀንሲ ከኢድ እስከ ኢድ ጥሪን ተከትሎ ወደ ሀገር ቤት ለሚመጡ ኢትዮጵያውያን፣ ትውልደ ኢትዮጵያውያንና የኢትዮጵያ ወዳጆች የሚያገለግል ጊዜያዊ መመሪያ አወጣ። ኤጀንሲው ለኢትዮጵያ ዳያስፖራ አገልግሎት በላከው ደብዳቤ መሰረት የመንግስትን ጥሪ ተቀብለው ወደ ሀገር ቤት ለሚመጡ ኢትዮጵያውያን፣ ትውልደ ኢትዮጵያውያንና የኢትዮጵያ…
14 Apr 2022
ሀገር ቤት ለሚመጡ ተጓዦች የሚያገለግል ጊዜያዊ መመሪያ
“Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch joint report on allegedly committed human rights abuses in Wolkait lack impartiality in all of the steps from research methodology to the presentation of findings and recommendations. H.E. Ambassador Dina Mufti, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia.” https://www.press.et/?p=70670
12 Apr 2022
Press Statement On the Joint Report of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch ===== The Government of Ethiopia will carefully examine the content of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch’s report on allegedly committed crimes in Welkait. A cursory look at the report indicates that it covers sensitive political changes in the country, peace and security, and internal boundary matters,…
6 Apr 2022
Press statement: On the joint report of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.
What was the purpose of your recent visit?
How would you rate the overall experience?
What made you choose this score?
we appreciate your help.
we appreciate your help.
Please use 140 or less characters
Leave us your feedback