You can get certain official documents legalised or authenticated by the Embassy in order to use them in Ethiopia.
Until further notice, all applications for the legalisation of documents must be made by post.
1. Documents that can be authenticated at the Embassy
Birth or Marriage certificates, Educational qualifications, Driving licenses and other similar documents.
As well as Court decisions and orders, and other pecuniary documents.
UK Documents must first be authorised and stamped by the Legalisation Office of the Foreign and Commonwealth office in London.
Ethiopian Documents must first be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ethiopia.
Documents that have not been issued in the UK or Ethiopia must be authenticated by the governing body of the country where the documents were issued.
The original document and its copy must be posted to the Embassy along with a covering note including the following details:
- Name of individual/organisation
- Service Requested (e.g Legalisation)
- Postal Address
- Telephone Number
3. Submit your documents at the Embassy
All applications must be made by post.
Please submit your documents to the following address:
Embassy of Ethiopia
17 Princes Gate
Please ensure that you enclose a pre-paid self addressed return envelope to allow us to return your documents to you following legalisation.
Please note that…
- The processing fee is non-refundable
- Paperwork submitted in a manner different from the above will not be accepted
- Due to COVID-19, your application could take longer than usual to reach the Embassy
4. Fees and Payment
Upon receipt of your application, a consular officer will contact you to take payment over the phone.
The fee listed is per seal.
Non-Business Documentation (Marriage Certificates, Educational Certificates, Driving Licenses etc…)
- Ethiopian Passport and I.D. card holders – £49.00
- British/Other passports – £75.00
Business Documentation (Registration Certificates, Articles of Associations etc…)
- Ethiopian Passport and I.D. card holders – £52.00
- British/Other passports – £80.00
The Consular Section only accepts credit and debit card payments for all Consular Services. Payments by American Express, cash, postal orders or banker’s draft are not accepted.
5. Processing times and return of documents
Documents are usually processed within five working days. Due to COVID-19, some applications may take longer to process than normal.
At the time you pay the fee for your documents over the phone, you will be notified when to expect your documents to be returned to you.
The Consular Section will return your documents to you by post, using the pre-paid self-addressed return envelope you enclosed with your original application.
we appreciate your help.