Visa for Ethiopia
Visitors to Ethiopia require visas. The only exceptions are nationals from Djibouti and Kenya and travellers who arrive in Addis Ababa Bole International Airport to catch a connecting flight.
Please read the following items as they contain vital information to your visa application.
- How to Apply for a Visa
- The Visa Application Form
- Completing the Visa Application Form
- Payment and Fees
- Notice: Change of Visa Fees - December 12, 2014
Planning for your trip
Consular Advise Line: 020 7838 3897/98
We advise that you talk to your GP, practice nurse or travel health clinic about any immunisations you may need at least two months before travelling. Visitors from the UK can find out more information by visiting the immunisation website (www.immunisation.nhs.uk) and the National Travel Health Network and Centre website (www.nathnac.org).
A certificate of vaccination for yellow fever is no longer mandatory.
Journalists, film crews and professional photographers need to contact the Ethiopian Embassy Press office for initial enquiries on 020 7838 3883 or 020 7838 3880 at least 15 days in advance of travel. You can also click here for more information about the visa application process.
Applications can be made in person at the Visa Section, by post or on arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. Should you require further advice, please call the Embassy consular section on 020 7838 3898.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL APPLICANTS MUST ALSO SUBMIT COPIES OF THEIR PASSPORT AND APPLICATION FORM WHEN APPLYING
Application forms are available from the London Ethiopian Embassy Consular Office and may be completed or dropped off in person. Please be aware that the office's opening hours are 9.00am to 3.00pm, Monday to Friday. Most straightforward visa applications are processed within two to three working days. Applications by journalists and professional photographers may take longer.
Application forms are available free of charge from the Embassy. You may use the electronic version available on this website, or the Embassy can post a copy to you, provided you send a pre-stamped and self-addressed envelope to: The Visa Department, Embassy of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, 17 Princes Gate, London SW7 1PZ. Most straightforward visa applications are processed within two to three working days, but extra time will be required for post.
On arrival at Addis Ababa airport
Some tourist visas can also be issued on arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport, for which a different form is provided. The form available on this website and from the Ethiopian Embassy in London cannot be used for this purpose.
Tourist visas can only be issued on arrival to:
- foreign nationals who are coming from countries where there is no Ethiopian Mission
- foreign nationals who are coming from and are permanent residents in any of the following internationally recognised tourist-generating countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea Republic, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States.
If applying for a tourist visa on arrival, visitors will need to bring with them two recent passport-sized photographs and no less than US $50 before their application can be processed. Please scroll down for the full price list.
Foreign nationals who are coming from countries that are not listed as tourist generating countries and from those countries that do not have an agreement with Ethiopia regarding the issuance of visas on arrival, can enter Ethiopia by obtaining a visa from a nearby Ethiopian Mission. However, if tourists from such countries wish to get a visa on arrival at the airport, they are required to get approval from the Immigration and Nationality Affairs Main Department in Ethiopia. Requests for such approval can be sent to:
- Main Department for Immigration and Nationality Affairs, PO Box 3741, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 002511 55 32 09 / 002511 56 49 81
* Please be aware that the Embassy email address as listed on the pdf format visa form is incorrect. It should read email@example.com We apologise for this error.
If you are experiencing problems opening or reading the pdf version of the visa application form, you can click here to open the non-pdf version in a new window.
Forms should be printed off, filled in and posted or taken to the Embassy.
Types of Visa
This form may be used when applying for the following types of visa:
- Business - for individuals undertaking business or any work (including voluntary work)
- Transit - for individuals who are passing through Ethiopia on to another destination.*
*If you arrive at Addis Ababa Bole International airport and have to wait a few hours for a connecting flight, providing you do not leave the airport or pass the Immigration Desk you will not require this visa. If you leave the airport for any length of time between flights you will require a transit visa.
Length of Visa
For tourist purposes the following are available:
- Single entry visa valid for up to 30 days stay
- Single entry visa valid for 3 months
- Multiple entry visa valid for 3 months
- multiple entry visa valid for 6 months
For business purposes the following are available:
- single entry visas valid for up to 30 days stay
- multiple entry visas valid for 3 months
For transit purposes the following are available:
- single transit visas
- double transit visas
When choosing the length of the visa you require, please be aware that the visa is valid from the date of issue and not the date of entry into Ethiopia. It is no longer possible to post-date visas, so please give careful consideration as to which length of visa will be suitable for your stay. You must take into account the time taken to process your visa application as well allow for postage times and the number of days in advance of your travel you have applied, as your visa will have be valid from the date it has been processed at the Embassy.
For example, if you are visiting Ethiopia for 20 days, and you are applying for a single tourist or business visa more than a week in advance of your departure, you must take into account the length of time it takes for post to reach the Embassy, the time it takes to process the visa, the length of time it takes for post to reach you from the Embassy and consider exactly how many days in advance of your journey you have applied. If the total exceeds the 30 day limit, you must apply for a multiple entry 3 month visa.
If you wish to stay in Ethiopia for a longer period you will have to apply to the Ethiopian Main Department for Immigration Office in Addis Ababa for an extension.
- You will need to complete a visa application form for each person travelling to Ethiopia.
- Please complete the form writing in BLOCK CAPITALS in either blue or black ink.
Please ensure that you:
- answer clearly all of the required questions on the form(s) - your application may not be processed if you fail to provide all necessary information
- sign and date the form(s) where asked
- include your day-time telephone number in case the Consular office needs to contact you regarding your application
If you have any questions concerning your application, our Consular staff can be contacted on 020 7838 3898.
When submitted, each completed application form must be accompanied by:
- a passport. This must be valid for a minimum of 6 months. A visa cannot be issued unless you submit your passport.
- one recent, passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph. This should be attached to the form by paper-clip or another non-permanent means; DO NOT STAPLE THE PHOTOGRAPH TO THE APPLICATION FORM. Please write your name on the back of the photograph in BLOCK CAPITALS. The photograph should be full face without sunglasses, hat or other head covering unless for ethnic or religious reasons. Please note that we may not accept photographs which do not meet these specifications.
- the visa fee - a list of the fees can be found in the Fees & Payment section.
- a copy of your return ticket if you are travelling on a tourist or business visa, or a confirmed flight ticket for the onward destinations from Ethiopia, if you are travelling on a transit visit. Please do not include the original ticket. The Embassy cannot take responsibility for any items lost in the post.
- Evidence of sufficient funds to cover the cost of your intended stay - eg a copy of a bank statement.
- APPLICANTS MUST ALSO SUBMIT COPIES OF THEIR PASSPORT AND APPLICATION FORM.
When applying for a business visa, the form should be accompanied by a signed letter on headed paper from the sponsoring organisation or company, stating the nature of the visit and the work that will be conducted. If you are self-employed, this letter can be from a solicitor, accountant or company house.
Business visa applicants who are not normally residents of the UK should apply to the Ethiopian Embassy accredited to their country or that which is closest to their place of legal residence. However, business visa applicants who choose to apply at the Ethiopian Embassy in London, must provide a letter stating why they are applying in the UK and should be aware that their application and documentation may be passed on for verification purposes, to the Ethiopian Embassy accredited to the country of their origin or whichever Embassy is closest to their country of origin.
If you are a student, your application should be accompanied by a letter from your school, college or university or your letter of invitation from an Ethiopian referee if applicable.
Journalists and professional photographers should also contact the Ethiopian Embassy Press office on 020 7838 3880 in advance of travel. If you are taking equipment with you, such as cameras, sound equipment etc, please attach a list detailing their description, make, serial numbers and value. If you intend to film, you will require a permit for which a fee representing a small percentage of total production costs will be charged. Please also be aware that processing your visa application may take two weeks.
Please include an undated special delivery self-addressed envelope if you require your passport to be returned to you by post. The Embassy cannot accept responsibility for any items lost in the post.
The following methods of payment are accepted:
- Banker's Drafts
- Postal Orders - made payable to The Ethiopian Embassy.
- Payment by cheque or any means other than those stated above, cannot be accepted.
The correct fee must be enclosed with the application form. If you are unsure of which is the correct fee for your application, you may call the consular office to check - 020 7838 3898.
STUDENT VISA £26.00
The above prices do not apply to American citizens. By special arrangement with the US government, American citizens receive a two year multiple entry visa for both business and tourist purposes, for which the fee is £51.
- Single/Double entry Transit Visas for American Citizens £29
- Two Years Student Visa for American Citizens £29
Remember...visa applications MUST be accompanied by the following:
- a valid passport - valid for a minimum of six months
- one passport-sized photograph
- the correct visa fee
- any supporting documents (or copies) requested in the guidance notes above
- a copy of your passport and application form
- an undated special delivery self-addressed envelope if you require your passport and visa to be returned by post