Requirements to be fulfilled by Foreign Charities Registering in Ethiopia
When a foreign charity presents an application to register and operate in Ethiopia, it should fulfil the following requirements:
- Duly authenticated certificate of registration from the country of origin.
- Memorandum or Articles of Association or any other by laws.
- Proof of the decision of the competent organ of the charity to operate in Ethiopia.
- The project profile and project proposal to be implemented in Ethiopia.
- In the project proposal, the charity should clearly show the breakdown between overhead costs and project costs. The budget breakdown should show that 70% or more of the budget is planned for project costs and 30% or less for management costs (overhead costs).
- A power of attorney for the country representative.
- Detailed information about the country representative such as CV and academic credentials (the academic status of the country representative should be at least Diploma level or above).
- A letter of recommendation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or any other governmental authority that deals with charities in the country where the charity is incorporated.
- A letter of recommendation by the Embassy accredited in the country where the charity is incorporated or, in the absence of such, by a competent government organ in the country of origin.
- All the documents should be legalized by the legalization office in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the charity is incorporated.
- The original and two copies of the legalized documents must be submitted to the nearest Ethiopian Embassy or consulate.
- Copies of the legalized documents submitted to Ethiopian Embassy or consulate under no. 11 above will be sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia with a recommendation, and:
- The original legalized documents submitted to the Ethiopian Embassy or Consulate will be authenticated by the Embassy or consulate and delivered back to the charity. If and when the application for registration is successful and the charity is told to proceed with the registration process in Ethiopia, these original documents shall be further authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ethiopia and submitted to the Charities and Societies Agency for registration.
- Further queries on this matter can be directed to the International and Legal Affairs Section of the Embassy at 0207 838 3873 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requirements are subject to change without notice
Copyright © Embassy of The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. All rights reserved.