The Diaspora Division of the Embassy is responsible for raising the level of awareness and understanding among the Diaspora and mobilising them to take part in Ethiopia’s development activities.
The division, inter alia;
- conducts interactive meetings and group discussions with Diaspora members and provides further clarifications on issues raised by the Diaspora Community;
- encourages and assists the Diaspora to participate in business and investment activities in Ethiopia;
- facilitates knowledge and technology transfer initiatives, by establishing linkages with relevant institutions in Ethiopia;
- undertakes efforts to encourage the Diaspora to open Foreign Currency Diaspora Accounts in Pounds Sterling (GBP), US Dollars and Euros;
- facilitates a productive and meaningful synergy between the Diaspora Civic, Professional, Community and Development associations with their local counterparts, institutions and development organisations in Ethiopia;
- coordinates the overall activities associated with the Ethiopian Grand Renaissance Dam Bond purchase;
- identifies challenges and opportunities associated with the existing policies and directives related with the Diaspora overall engagement in Ethiopia;
Minister Counsellor I - Diaspora Affairs
Tel: 0207 838 3873
Diaspora Participation Officer
Tel: 020 7838 3877
Information on the Diaspora Housing Programme
Ethiopians and foreigners of Ethiopian origin in the UK are entitled to own a house through a government Diaspora housing scheme either individually or by becoming members of a housing association.
Further information on the criteria for registration, house prices and directives can be found in the following link.
NOTE: Registration of the Diaspora Housing Programme will commence on 18 May 2015.
Asmelash Bekele Weldemariam
Counsellor - Public Diplomacy
Tel: 020 7589 7212
The Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) has launched 11 new channels and recommends using ROKU, a streaming device which can be purchased for around $50 (£33), in order to receive these channels. Please click on the links below for more details.
**NEW** - Information on the internship program for Ethiopians and Foreign Nationals of Ethiopian Origin at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Addis and Ethiopian Missions Abroad
**Latest Update as of November 5, 2013** More information on the following link.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) mission in the UK is currently running a programme that offers reduced airfares and more generous luggage allowance to international students returning permanently to their countries of origin once they have finished their studies in the UK. The benefits of this programme are also available to individuals going from the UK to study abroad.
The following link has the information sheet with further details of the programme.
Should you have any questions or require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact IOM on email@example.com, 020 7811 6038 (Baris Guvercintasi) or 020 7811 6098 (Zhumei Chen).